Paddling with SSK
SSK Paddles are initiated by individual club members, and are cooperative, non-guided trips. Event initiators are not kayaking instructors or professional guides. Event initiators may offer basic equipment reminders for any particular paddle, will happily answer questions, and may turn away anyone clearly lacking appropriate safety gear or skill for the event. Contact the trip initiator before the paddle if you have any questions about a paddle.
All paddle event participants must fill out an emergency contact and liability waiver form at the beginning of each paddle event.
The Sacramento Sea Kayaking club uses a Meetup.com website to allow its members to post and manage paddles.
Favorite Sacramento Area Paddle Locations
Lake Natoma – Gold River, Folsom
Folsom Lake – Folsom, Granite Bay, Newcastle
Lower American River – Fair Oaks, Rancho Cordova, Sacramento
Cosumnes River Preserve
Other Favorite SSK Paddling Locations
– Lake Tahoe Water Trail website shows launch access points and some downloadable maps. They also offer a good waterproof Map and Guide that can be purchased at numerous locations around Lake Tahoe.
– Lake Tahoe NOAA marine chart
– Favorite paddle locations include Sand Harbor and Cave Rock on the Nevada side and Emerald Bay in California.
– Both California and Nevada have programs in place to prevent the spread of Aquatic Invasive Species (both plants and animals). See the following websites to ensure you meet the requirements to launch and paddle in Lake Tahoe.
California – Tahoe Keepers AIS program
Nevada – Dept. of Wildlife AIS program
– Many access points are closed over the winter season so be sure to check availability if planning to paddle in the spring or autumn.
San Francisco Bay